Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Power of Words

I believe words can build up or tear down. They are so powerful.

Just think about the words we remember? I was called Tweety when I was in first grade because I was short and some other children referred to themselves as Sylvester. I remember that Kevin said that he couldn't believe I made the cheerleading squad when we were in eighth grade. I just happened to be walking not to far behind him as we were getting on the bus. I also remember a teacher telling me that my handwriting was bad. I don't remember exactly what she said. I had given up trying because my effort didn't seem to get me anywhere. (My finger was also bandaged up because I had broken the tip of bone off on my ring finger and cut it open really bad.) I also had a student today very upset over one word that another student had said to him. I think it was disqualified. I don't think the context for the word was quite right but the meaning was sure there. He was in tears.

I just think that I need to remember this especially in the classroom.

No comments: